July 17, 2020
New CMS User Guides released.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) recently released updated user guides for Non-Group Health Plan MMSEA Section 111 Mandatory Insurer Reporting and the Medicare Secondary Payer Recovery Portal (MSPRP). CMS also just announced an August webinar on Section 111 reporting matters.
CMS User Guides: Updated MMSEA Section 111
On June 29, CMS released Version 5.9 of the NGHP MMSEA Section 111 User Guide. Highlights of the updated user guide:
- A reminder has been added that while the threshold for physical trauma-based liability insurance settlements remains at $750, this threshold does not apply to non-trauma liability reporting for alleged ingestion, implantation, or exposure cases. Any settlement, regardless of amount, should be reported for these types of cases. (Sections 6.4.2, 6.4.3, and 6.4.4).
- The limit dollar amount that triggers a threshold error has been adjusted from $99,999,999 to $99,999,999.99. This error occurs any time the No-Fault Insurance Limit amount or the cumulative value of all reported TPOCs (detailed and auxiliary records) exceed this limit. Additionally, the No-Fault Insurance Limit field number has been corrected under “Exceptions.” (Section 7.3.2).
- When considering the requirements for the Ongoing Responsibility for Medicals (ORM), remember, per current policy, that the dollar limit for No-Fault Insurance Limits (Field 61) represents a combined total of Med-Pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) (Section 6.7.1).
- When considering the requirements for the Ongoing Responsibility for Medicals (ORM), remember, per current policy, that the dollar limit for No-Fault Insurance Limits (Field 61) represents a combined total of Med-Pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) (Appendix A).
- The CR02 claim response file error code field number has been corrected (Appendix F) (Table F-4).
CMS User Guides: Updated MSPRP
On July 13, CMS released Version 4.9 of its MSPRP User Guide. The MSPRP is a web-based application which allows authorized users to, among other tasks, investigate, dispute and resolve Medicare conditional payments. Updates can be found on page 1-1 of the user guide. Significantly, users can now view and print outgoing correspondence from the MSPRP. This is correspondence that has been received or letters that have been sent related to a BCRC or CRC case.
Section 111 Reporting Webinar
CMS will be hosting a Section 111 NGHP webinar on August 13, 2020 at 1:00 PM ET. According to the notice, “the format will be opening remarks by CMS followed by a presentation that will include NGHP reporting best practices and reminders.” The webinar notice can be found here.
If you have any questions regarding the updates, please contact Dan Anders, Chief Compliance Officer at email@example.com or 888.331.4941.